Service Repair Manual
312D2 and 312D2 L Excavator
Model: 312D2 L EXCAVATOR EAB
Configuration: 312D2 & 312D2 L Excavators EAB00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3054C Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
3054C Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -SENR5069-18
Publication Date -01/05/2015
Date Updated -19/09/2018
Rocker Shaft and Pushrod - Install
SMCS - 1102-012; 1208-012
Tool Part Number Part Description Qty
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
312D2 & 312D2 L Excavators EAB00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3054C E...
1. Apply clean engine lubricating oil to both ends of the pushrods (6). Install the pushrods (6).
Note: Ensure that the pushrods are installed in the original location and that the pushrods
are seated in the valve lifters correctly.
2. If the rocker shaft was disassembled, install the Tooling (A) around the rocker arms (4) in
order to slightly compress spring (5). The rocker arms must be held away from the
machined face of the cylinder head (2) during reassembly.
3. Loosen the nut (8) and the adjustment screw (7) on each rocker arm. This will help prevent
a bent valve or a bent pushrod during the installation of the rocker shaft.
4. Position the rocker shaft assembly on the cylinder head.
Note: The rocker shaft (3) of the rocker shaft assembly is not symmetrical. The rocker shaft
(3) has a machined flat at the front end of the shaft. Ensure that the machined flat is toward
the top and toward the front end of the engine.
5. Install the Torx screws (1) in the rocker shaft (3).
Note: The longest Torx screw must be installed at the front of the cylinder head in the hole
6. Ensure that the adjustment screws (7) are properly