SOCIETY OF ACTUARIES
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF PENSION ACTUARIES
JOINT BOARD FOR THE ENROLLMENT OF ACTUARIES
NOVEMBER 2000 EA-2 (COURSE 365) EXAMINATION
JOINT BOARD BASIC EXAMINATION
This is the November 2000 examination which has been released to
the public by the administering organizations.
Conditions Generally Applicable to All EA-2 Examination Questions
The following conditions should be considered a part of the data for each question, unless otherwise stated
General Conditions Regarding Plan Provisions
"Plan" or "pension Plan" means a defined benefit pension plan.
The plan is qualified under Code section 401. Thus, for example, any benefit formulas should be
understood to be limited by other plan provisions required by the Code.
The plan is sponsored by a single employer the sponsoring employer is not a member of a controlled
The plan is not established or maintained in connection with a collectively bargained agreement
The plan year, the employer's limitation year, and the employer's tax year are all the calendar year.
(6) The normal retirement age is 65.
(8) The plan covers all active employees of the employer, there is no age or service requirement for
participation. Thus, when referring to active employees, the terms “employee” and "participant" are
There are no, and never have been, ma&tory or voluntary employee contributions.
(10) Service for purposes of vesting and benefit accrual is credited on the basis of time elapsed since date
(13) Qualified joint and swivor annuities and qualified preretirement swivor annuities are provided in
such manner that they result in no cost to the employer.
(14) The plan has not been top-heavy in any year.
(15) The plan has not been amended since its effective date.
General Conditions Regarding Funding
(16) Any actuarial valuation encompasses not only all active employees but also retired employees,
beneficiaries, and former employees entitled to vested deferred pensions.
(17) The valuation date is the firs