Accretion of Duties Promotion Certification
PURPOSE: The purpose of this form is to document changes in a position to support a
noncompetitive promotion request.
Part I. In order to recommend and certify an employee for a noncompetitive promotion,
please describe how the position has changed over time in the box below.
What additional duties and responsibilities have been assigned?
Where did the work come from? Who previously performed the work?
Why was the work moved to this position?
How long has the employee performed these additional duties?
What work, if any, has been removed from the employee's current position description?
If these or similar duties are currently being performed by others in the organization,
please provide their names.
Accretion of Duties Promotion Certification (contd.)
Part 2. Please certify that the following conditions are met for the noncompetitive
promotion for the employee named above:
1. The employee continues to perform the same basic functions of the position to which
2. The major duties of the former position are absorbed into the new position (i.e., the new
position is a clear successor to the previous position).
3. The new duties could not reasonably be assigned to any other position within the organization.
4. The new position has no further promotion potential.
5. No other positions within the organizational unit -- whether encumbered or vacant -- are
adversely affected by the action. (For example, the "new" duties were not removed from another
position in the organization which could adversely impact on that position's grade level as a
6. Time-in-grade requirements have been met.
7. The new position is not a reclassification from nonsupervisory to a team leader or supervisory
8. The new position is no