• WISDM Features
• Shared Financial Systems Overview
• Basic Accounting Terminology Used at UW
• System Navigation
– Log on to WISDM
– Main Menu Structure
– Managing My Favorites
– Pick and Move Columns
– Down Load and Print Reports
• Where Do I Go from Here
• Questions and Answers
WISDM System Features
• WISDM = WISconsin Data Mart.
It’s a UW financial data warehouse.
• A part of Shared Financial Systems (SFS).
It is also a web-based financial reporting system used
by all UWS campuses.
• Detail and summary financial reports by department,
sub-department, division and projects.
• View reports on line, in PDF or down load to Excel.
• Demographic data on projects/grants.
• Transaction searches of payments, transfers, internal
billings, purchase orders and other journals.
• Funding validation lookup.
Shared Financial Systems Overview
(GL, AP, PO,
SFS – Shared Financial Systems.
JET – Journal Entry Tool.
Searches & Reports
Basic Accounting Terminology Used at UW
• Coding (or Chartfield) used in UW financial transactions: Fund, Department,
Project, Program, Account, Sub Class.
Fund Code: A code to represent an appropriation from state or federal government,
or gifts and endowment to the University.
– Different funds have different restrictions/guidelines on spending and
– UW System Fund List: http://www.uwsa.edu/fadmin/campus5.htm
• Program Code: Classification of expenditures.
• Account Code: A series of coding to classify assets, liability, revenue, expenditure
and equity. http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/acct/codes/account.html
– 1XXX: Salary and fringe expenditures;
– 2XXX: Travel and services;
– 3XXX: Supplies;
– 4XXX: Capital expenditures;
– 5XXX: Aid to students and scholars;
– 6XXX: Cash;
– 7XXX: Liability;
– 8XXX: Equity or fund balance;
– 9XXX: Revenue.