Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 4/1/99 Rowing - Page 1 of 1
Merit Badge Requirements
1) Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while rowing, including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat
exhaustion, dehydration, sunburn, insect stings, tick bites, blisters, and hyperventilation.
2) Do the following:
A) Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person. Explain how such conditions are recognized.
B) Demonstrate proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by your counselor.
3) Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test. Jump feetfirst into water over your head in
depth, swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then
swim 25 yards or 25 meters using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be swum continuously and include at least one
sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.
4) Review and discuss Safety Afloat and demonstrate the proper fit and use of personal flotation devices (PFD's).
5) Alone or with a passenger, do the following correctly in either a fixed-seat or sliding-seat rowboat:
A) Launch and land from and to shore.
B) Row in a straight line for a quarter mile. Stop, make a pivot turn, and return to the starting point.
C) Backwater in a straight line for 50 yards. Make a turn under way and return to the starting point.
D) Properly moor or rack your craft. Demonstrate your ability to tie the following mooring knows: clove hitch, roundturn
with two half hitches, bowline, and hitching tie or mooring hitch.
6) In a fixed-seat rowboat, do the following:
A) Come alongside a dock and help a