Ensuring Organizational Results: Connecting Competencies to
Mission, Vision, and Strategy
Leadership should support the healthy functioning of organizations. A leadership competency model
identifies leadership behaviors that produce the desired results for the organization. Therefore, the
leadership competencies that make up your competency model should be directly linked to your
organization’s mission, vision, and strategy.
Establishing this link ensures that leadership competencies are in line with your values, reflect the
desired future state of your organization, take into account the market your organization serves,
capitalize on your organization’s points of differentiation, and ensure that work gets done in an
Before launching your 360 feedback campaign, the LeaderNation portal provides space for you to
summarize critical aspects of your organization’s functioning. Attending to this section will ensure that
you focus on what is important to your organization when you create your leadership competency
model. The text you insert should address some of the following key questions:
The Big Picture
1. What are your organization’s core values?
2. What is your organization’s reason for existing?
3. What will your organization ideally be like in the future?
Who We Are and What We Do
4. What products and/or services does this organization provide?
5. Who does this organization serve?
6. How does this organization see itself?
7. How does this organization want others to see it?
8. What differentiates this organization from others?
9. What are our core competencies or capabilities?
ENSURING ORGANIZATIONAL RESULTS: CONNECTING COMPETENCIES TO MISSION, VISION, AND STRATEGY I PAGE 2 LEADERNATION I WWW.LEADERNATION.COM
Our Goals and SWOT
10. What are our long-term objectives?
11. What are our short-term objectives?
12. What are strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats?
Other Key Details
13. What is the relevant information needed to understand the organization’s