System Requirements and
The following are the minimum system requirements for running AutoCAD 2004.
1. Operating systems: Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Tablet
PC, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0 with SP 6a or later.
2. 128 MB of RAM.
3. Pentium III or later 500 Mhz (minimum), 800 Mhz (recommended) processor.
4. 300 MB of hard disk space for installation.
5. 64MB of disk swap space (minimum).
6. 10MB of additional memory (RAM) for each concurrent session of AutoCAD.
7. 2.5 MB of free disk space required at the time of installation for temporary files that are
removed when installation is complete.
8. 4X speed or faster CD-ROM for initial installation.
9. 1024 x 768 VGA with True Color (minimum) video display.
10. Mouse or digitizer (with Wintab driver) pointing device.
11. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Web browser.
12. Serial port (for digitizers and some plotters).
13. Sound card for multimedia learning.
The following hardware is optional
3. Digitizing tablet
A-2 System Requirements and AutoCAD Installation
INSTALLING AutoCAD 2004
The installation process has now been simplified that has made it easier and faster to install
AutoCAD. Also, the installation procedure is more consistent with other Windows installations.
The following steps describe the installation process for AutoCAD 2004.
1. The first step is to insert the AutoCAD 2004 CD in the CD-ROM drive of your computer.
If AutoPlay is enabled, the AutoCAD 2004 dialog box is automatically displayed and the
InstallShield Wizard is installed on your system. (AutoPlay is a Windows feature that
automatically runs an executable file. The AutoPlay feature can be turned off by holding
down the Shift key when you insert the CD in the CD-ROM drive, or by changing the
play setting of the CD-ROM.) If your system matches the minimum hardware require-
ments, the Welcome dialog box is displayed on the