Accounting Specialist - Page 1
CITY OF KENNEWICK
Date Updated: August 20, 1992
Title Of Immediate Supervisor: Accounting Supervisor
Under general supervision, performs fiscal processing in the areas of payroll, accounts payable and
accounts receivable. This is a single level classification. It is not part of a series.
The primary mission of all employees is to provide the citizens of the City of Kennewick with the most
efficient and effective service possible. Salaries are paid by the taxes, revenues, and users fees collected
from the citizens of Kennewick. Each employee is expected to treat all people with the courtesy and
respect due them at all times.
1. Processes invoices for payment by reviewing invoices to verify accuracy, reconciling to purchase
orders, making appropriate changes and adjustments and releasing purchase orders for payment.
2. Balances purchase order released for payment against claims roster and makes appropriate adjustments.
Signs all claims warrants.
3. Maintains assortment of checkbooks including treasurer, advanced travel, dental fund and petty cash by
tracking deposits and warrants redeemed, issuing and voiding checks, reviewing claims for accuracy and to
determine proper reimbursement amount, and maintaining and balancing check register.
4. Reconciles total receipts in accounting system with daily bank deposit, identifies and corrects any
discrepancies, and releases receipts for posting to accounting system.
5. Maintains various ledgers by entering billing and payment data and reconciling ledger to general ledger.
Prepares related financial reports for distribution.