Service Repair Manual
320E RR and 320E LRR
Model: 320E RR EXCAVATOR LHN
Configuration: 320E RR & 320E LRR Excavators LHN00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY C6.6 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
C6.6 Engines for Caterpillar Built Machines
Media Number -KENR9249-07
Publication Date -01/09/2015
Date Updated -19/06/2017
Flywheel - Remove
SMCS - 1156-011
Tool Part Number
1/2 inch - UNF by 4 inch
a. Remove the electric starting motor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Electric Starting
Motor - Remove and Install" for the correct procedure.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
1. Remove bolts from Position (X) from flywheel (1).
2. Install Tooling (A) in Position (X) to flywheel (1).
3. Install a suitable lifting device onto flywheel (1). Support the weight of the flywheel. The
flywheel can weigh 75 kg (165 lb).
4. If necessary, remove bolts (2) that secure the housing for pilot bearing (3) to flywheel (1).
Remove the housing for pilot bearing (3).
5. Remove remaining bolts (4).
6. Use the lifting device to remove the flywheel from the engine.
7. Inspect flywheel (1) and ring gear (5) for wear and damage. Replace any worn components
or damaged components.
8. To remove flywheel ring gear (5), follow Step 8.a through Step 8.b.
a. Place the flywheel assembly on a suitable support.
b. Use a hammer and a punch in order to remove ring gear (5) from flywheel (1).
Note: Identify the orientation of the teeth on the flywheel ring gear.
Copyright 1993 - 2019 Caterpillar Inc.