– INSTRUCTIONS –
APPLICATION FOR ALLEGHENY COUNTY
HOMESTEAD & FARMSTEAD EXCLUSIONS
Act 50 of 1998 permits counties, school districts and municipalities to offer a homestead property tax exclusion as
long as property tax millage rates are not increased to compensate for revenue lost from the exclusion. Under a
homestead property tax exclusion, the assessed value of each eligible home is reduced by a set amount before the
property tax is computed. Act 50 permits individuals to apply for a Homestead Exclusion, even though a
Homestead Exclusion may not have been adopted by a local taxing body in which you reside.
ONLY PERMANENT RESIDENCES AND QUALIFYING FARMS IN ALLEGHENY COUNTY
ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE HOMESTEAD/FARMSTEAD EXCLUSION.
VACANT LAND OR LAND WITHOUT YOUR PERMANENT HOME DOES NOT QUALIFY.
AGE, DISABILITY OR INCOME HAS NO BEARING ON APPROVAL OF YOUR APPLICATION.
1. Fill in the Block and Lot Number of the property for which you are seeking a homestead exclusion. You
can find the Block and Lot Number on your real property tax bill. If you do not have a real property tax
bill, you may visit the county’s real estate website at http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/ or
call the County Treasurer/Tax Collector at 412-350-4100 or County Assessment Office at 412-350-4600.
2. Fill in the full address of the property for which you are seeking a homestead exclusion.
3. Fill in your municipality and school district. If you are not sure of the name of your municipality or school
district, visit the county’s real estate website at http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/ or contact
the County Treasurer/Tax Collector at 412-350-4100 or the County Assessment Office at 412-350-4600.
4. Fill in your name and, if applicable, the name of other owners of record, such as your spouse or a co-owner
of the property. You must be the owner(s) listed on the deed to apply for the exclusion.
5. If your mailing address differs from the address of the property for which you are seeking a homest