Carbon monoxide: a most unwelcome guest
The Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed! Campaign have estimated that as many as 81% of households in the UK don't have an audible CO alarm. So quite
a lot, then.
And the trouble with carbon monoxide is... well, there are lots of troubling things about carbon monoxide. It has no odour, no taste, and it's invisible to
the naked eye. Plus it can't be easily self-diagnosed, as there are a wide range of potential symptoms associated with CO poisoning.
And it can be fatal. Some victims of carbon monoxide poisoning claim that survival is even worse.
Any poorly-fitted or ill-maintained fuel-burning appliances can potentially leak CO, as can unswept chimney flues.
So really, it's well worth investing the Â£15 odd that it costs to install a European Standard CO detector with an audible alarm.
Our article The Silent Killer: Confused.com Warns of the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide is a really worthwhile read. It's got some tips on how to spot if
you have a CO leak, symptoms to look for, and landlord's responsibilities to be aware of - for landlords and tenants alike.
â€¢	Keep your boiler in good working order, or ensure it's kept serviced.
â€¢	Think about upgrading your old gas appliances. If you're a tenant in a property, then your landlord should service the appliances that they provide
on an annual basis.
â€¢	If you're planning to use old-fashioned portable heaters, get them checked by an expert before use.
â€¢	Keep your home well ventilated.
â€¢	If you have a working chimney, make sure it's swept annually by a qualified engineer or chimney sweep.
â€¢	You can never have too much education where safety is concerned. If you're worried about CO in your home, or you have any friends or relatives
who you feel are unaware of the risk, it's worth visiting the CO Awareness website. The site is full of information and prevention tips that could prove
About the Author
Find out more about home insurance at http://www.confused.com