Microsoft Project Viewer
Using ValleySpeak Project Server as a Microsoft Project Viewer
Sharing Microsoft Project schedules with team members is a huge challenge for Project
Managers. Since Microsoft Project licenses are costly and most team members use only a
small subset of the functionality of Microsoft Project, using an Microsoft Project viewer
(MPP file viewer) is a possible cost saving measure.
ValleySpeak Project Server can be used as a Microsoft Project viewer and more. Not only
can the team members see Microsoft Project schedules, they can also submit updates for
their tasks on the schedules. This allows the Project Manager to get real-time feedback
about task status from their teams while still allowing the Project Managers 100% control to
approve or disapprove the changes submitted by the team.
Most Microsoft Project viewers only allow the team members to read the project
schedule, but not to give real time updates back to the Project Manager. In most cases
where such read-only viewers are used, the Project Managers and Team Members have to
rely on unstructured emails to communicate status to the Project Manager.
Comparing ValleySpeak Project Server with Microsoft Project Viewers
Microsoft Project Viewers
1. Read-Only view for Team Members with no real-time status reporting from the team
members back to the Project Managers.
2. Generally require setup since each team member must install a separate instance,
creating associated headaches of maintenance and upgrades.
3. Customers are locked into the Vendor once a perpetual software licenses are
Usually charge extra for upgrades and software maintenance.
4. Generally support single projects which can only be viewed one at a time.
ValleySpeak Project Server
1. Project Managers and Team Members can have structured two-way interaction in
2. Provides comprehensive features like Issue Tracking, Risk Management, Document
Management which are essential to professionally manage a project.
3. Free and automatic upgrades so that yo