Win People to Your Way of Thinking
10. The only way to get the best of an argument is to
11. Show respect for the other person’s opinion.
Never say, “you’re wrong.”
12. If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
13. Begin in a friendly way.
14. Get the other person saying, “yes, yes” immediately.
15. Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
16. Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
17. Try honestly to see things from the other person’s
point of view.
18. Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and
19. Appeal to the nobler motives.
20. Dramatize your ideas.
21. Throw down a challenge.
Be a Leader
22. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
23. Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly.
24. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing
the other person.
25. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
26. Let the other person save face.
27. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every
improvement. Be “hearty in your approbation and
lavish in your praise.”
28. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
29. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to
30. Make the other person happy about doing the thing
Principles from How to Stop Worrying
and Start Living
Fundamental Principles for Overcoming Worry
Live in “day-tight compartments.”
2. How to face trouble:
a. Ask yourself, “What is the worst that can
b. Prepare to accept the worst.
c. Try to improve on the worst.
Remind yourself of the exorbitant price you can
pay for worry in terms of your health.
Basic Techniques in Analyzing Worry
1. Get all the facts.
2. Weigh all the facts – then come to a decision.
3. Once a decision is reached, act!
4. Write out and answer the following questions:
a. What is the problem?
b. What are the causes of the problem?
c. What are the possible solutions?
d. What is the best possible solution?
Break the Worry Habit Before It Breaks You
1. Keep busy.
2. Don’t fuss about trifles