Service Repair Manual
320D and 320D L Excavator
Model: 320D L EXCAVATOR MDE
Configuration: 320D & 320D L Excavators MDE00001-UP (MACHINE) POWERED BY 3066 Engine
Disassembly and Assembly
320D Excavator Machine Systems
Media Number -RENR8614-14
Publication Date -01/05/2013
Date Updated -19/07/2017
Front Idler, Recoil Spring and Hydraulic Track Adjuster -
SMCS - 4157-011; 4158-011; 4159-011
a. Separate the track assemblies. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Track - Separate".
The spring of the recoil spring assembly is compressed under several
tons of force.
Do not attempt to compress or release the tension of the spring with the
nut on the end of the retaining rod.
Damaged threads on the retaining rod or nut can cause the assembly to
come apart with force, resulting in injury or death.
1. Use a pry bar and move the front idler (1), the recoil spring, and the hydraulic track adjuster
partially out of the track roller frame. Attach a suitable lifting device to front idler (1), as
2. Once front idler (1), the recoil spring, and the hydraulic track adjuster (2) is partially out of
the track frame reposition the suitable lifting device in order to support the recoil spring, the
hydraulic track adjuster, and the front idler.
3. Slide the front idler, the recoil spring, and the hydraulic track adjuster (2) out of the track
roller frame as one unit. The weight of the unit is approximately 204 kg (450 lb).
4. Leave the suitable lifting device attached and turn the front idler, the recoil spring, and the
hydraulic track adjuster around 180 degrees.
5. Install the front idler partially into the track frame. The front idler, the recoil spring, and the
hydraulic track adjuster will be supported by the track frame.