This is a reprint of the
KODENKAN JUJITSU MANUAL
used by the Armed Service Y.M.C.A. Jujitsu Club.
Hickman Jujitsu Guild, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1940-1942
In 1939 & 1940, Prof. Okazaki’s Jujitsu School, The Hawaiian Jujitsu Guild, was overly crowded with 60
to 70 students. The Prof. divided the class into three groups. Each would work for 30 minutes, then sit and
watch for an hour and then get back on the mat for 30 minutes. The “mat was a wooden platform with
seven pieces of canvas nailed down without padding.
Since the U.S. was at war with Japan, a picture of the President and an American Flag was added to the
Picture of the Japanese Jujitsu Master so students could bow to whichever they wished.
With Prof. Okazaki’s blessings, two of his students opened a branch school. One was Don Carver, who
had been a professional wrestler and who was responsible for adding many of the wrestling techniques
into the Kodenkan or Dan Zan Ryu JuJitsu and the other was Marion Anderson, a Judo and Jujitsu student
of Prof. Okazaki. When Carver was transferred to England, Marion Anderson became the school head
and had this manual printed.
Rudy Palguta, a government employee who received his forth grade Black Belt from Prof. Okazaki,
worked out at both schools and reports that the system and the Kata Boards as they are known was a joint
venture of Prof. Okazaki, Carver and Anderson.
When Rudy Palguta was transferred to Lambert Field in St. Louis Mo., he opened a Jujitsu School and
was excused from his duties to teach the four hour classes. After a time, Rudy was transferred to Kansas
City and joined Fred Hartman, who was running a Judo School, and Vogle Kranichfield, who had been
trained in Commando fighting.
The school was called the ‘Midwest Jujitsu Club’ and taught Kokenkan JuJitsu using this manual and the
Kata boards on the wall. Thirty years later some of the Kata Boards hang unchanged at the Sunflower
Budo Club of Prof. Ken Regennitter, who was a student at the Midwest Jujitsu Club.
Rudy and Prof. Estes were abl