Society for the Preservation of Raptors (Inc.)
PO Box 415, Forrestfield WA 6058
Raptor Fact Sheet:
ELIMINATE RATS and
MICE, NOT WILDLIFE!
Rats and mice are not good house guests. They will eat practically anything, and their excreta contaminates
what they leave behind. They can spread diseases and other pests (such as fleas) which can affect both
humans and animals, and they cause tremendous damage to houses and property.
Commonly used anticoagulant rodenticides, however, can take a terrible toll on wildlife: birds of prey which
take animals affected by these poisons can suffer from secondary poisoning, which causes internal
haemorrhaging and a slow, painful death.
While it is sometimes necessary to use poisons in the interests of human health, there are other options
which should be explored before we introduce toxins into our environment. Poisons should always be used
as a last resort rather than a first line of defence. Every poison is dangerous. If it weren’t a dangerous, toxic
substance, it would not be called, “poison.” By definition, all poisons are harmful.
Rats and mice move in because they are seeking food, shelter and breeding sites. By denying them these
things, we can make the first and most important move towards getting rid of them.
Tidy up. Long grass, weeds, overgrown gardens, timber, sheet metal, cluttered sheds and junk piles provide
the perfect environment for rats and mice to flourish. Animal food like bird seed or poultry feed should be
stored in airtight, rodent-proof containers (ie: something that can’t be chewed through) to make it unavailable
to your unwelcome visitors.
Trapping should be undertaken with care. Traps should never be set where children, pets, wildlife or
domestic animals can be injured by them. Set traps in a safe, covered spot. Two of the most effective baits
to use are peanut butter or pumpkin seeds.
Although baits containing anticoagulants like Warfarin and Bromadioline or Brodifacoum are readily available