- 1 -
These are phrases and idioms used when telephoning. Make another sentence
for each example.
1. How can I help you?
2. Can I have extension 4?
3. I’m afraid she’s/he’s out at the moment.
4. I’ll make sure she/he gets this ASAP.
Unit 1 Telephone
CONTENTS A Preparation
B Taking a message
C Leaving a message
E Requesting Information
F Ending a call
Say numbers separately. Pause between groups. Note that “0” is oh
in the U.K. and zero in the USA.
0 3 2 8 9 5 3 1 0 4
oh/zero three two eight nine five three one oh/zero four
Read the dialog below.
A: Good morning, Ms. Samson’s office.
B: This is Sharon Lee. Could I speak to Ms. Samson?
A: Well, I’m sorry, I’m afraid she’s out at the moment.
B: Oh well then, what time will she be back in the office?
A: I expect her to be back after lunch.
B: Could you tell her to phone me back later this afternoon?
A: What’s your name again please?
B: It’s Sharon Lee.
A: OK. And what’s your number please?
B: It’s 014-6558-2219.
A: OK. Let me check that again. Your name is Sharon Lee and your
number is 014-6558-2219. Is that right?
B: Yes, that’s correct.
A: I’ll make sure she gets the message.
- 2 -
Fill-in the blanks with is going to/ are going to/ am going to to complete the
1. I ___________ join the rugby team in a month.
2. My daughters Mary and Liz _______ have a piano recital tomorrow at 2 p.m.
3. She _____________ marry the Prince in December.
4. Kindly let her know that I ____ be back in a while.
5. Tina _________ do the report on Wednesday.
Match these words to their definitions.
1) ASAP a) internal numbers at a company
2) Suppose b) sequences of words having s