Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA)
Florida Medicaid and MediKids Notice of Privacy Practices
YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESPOND TO THIS NOTICE
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE
USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
The Agency for Health Care Administration’s Medicaid program is required by law to maintain the
privacy of your protected health information. We must provide you with notice of its legal duties and
privacy practices with respect to your health information. We must also follow the terms of this notice,
which becomes effective on July 1, 2007.
How AHCA Uses and Safeguards your Health Information
We use your health information to pay for your health services and to operate the Medicaid program.
We may also use your health information to tell you about treatment alternatives or other health-
related benefi ts and services.
The following are some examples of how we may use your health information:
• Your doctor may send us a claim to pay. The claim includes information that identifi es you and
the type of care you received.
• We may share your information with a company that reviews hospital records to check on the
quality of care that you received.
• We may send appointment reminders for Child Health Check-Up services.
AHCA may also use and disclose your health information as permitted by law, such as:
• To entities outside the agency only if the information is used to verify income, eligibility and the
amount of public assistance payment.
• In responding to public emergencies, access to your health information may be granted to
persons or agency representatives who are subject to standards of confi dentiality comparable to
those of AHCA. Such other agencies may include the Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA) or the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
• To law enforcement, correctional facilities, medical examiners, funeral directors, and org