UNESCO ASSISTING BIOETHICS COMMITTEES PROJECT
Draft Minutes of the 1st Preparatory Meeting on the Strengthening of the National
Bioethics Committee in Malawi.
Held on: Friday 16th February 2007
Venue: Malawi National Commission for UNESCO Library
Time: 14 hours
1. Mr. F. R. Mkandawire; Executive Secretary Malawi National Commission for
UNESCO, Chairperson of meeting
2. Ms Hyacinth Kulemeka-Kishindo; Deputy Executive Secretary, Malawi National
Commission for UNESCO, Secretary of the meeting
3. Prof. Joseph Mfutso Bengo; Professor of Bioethics, the University of Malawi,
College of Medicine, Blantyre
4. Mr. A. K. Manda; Chief Scientific Officer, National Research Council of Malawi,
5. Mr. W. N. Chitaukali; Head; Department of Biology, the University of Malawi,
Chancellor College, Zomba
6. Mr. D. D. Kathyola; Deputy Director (Research), Ministry of Health, Lilongwe
1. Dr. Charles Mwansambo; Ministry of Health, Lilongwe
1.0 Welcoming Remarks:
The Executive Secretary, Malawi National Commission for UNESCO, Mr. F. R.
Mkandawire, called the meeting to order and welcomed all present. He extended a special
welcome to those that had traveled from outside Lilongwe. He thanked everybody for
having spared their precious time to attend the meeting.
Aims and Objectives of the Meeting:
In outlining the aims and objectives of the meeting, Mr. Mkandawire gave a brief
background of the role of UNESCO in the field of Bioethics. He talked about the various
standard-setting instruments that the international community has put in place under the
exigencies of UNESCO that give UNESCO the mandate to cooperate with its member
states in the implementation of several protocols including the Universal Declaration of
the Ethics of Science and Technology that informs the current activity.
He then outlined that the Division Ethics of Science and Technology at UNESCO, upon
invitation by the