© 2001 UTHSCSA "Positively Aging®" a trade mark of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
ACTIVITY 1D: JOLLY ROGER FLAG
After reading the background information on the Jolly Roger, students will design
their own unique Jolly Roger.
What you will need:
•␣ Black butcher paper approximately 16"X40" for each student or
black construction paper
• Plain white paper
• Copy of skull-and-crossbones and other flag patterns
1. Using a pencil, have the students draw an enlarged copy of the skull-and-crossbones
pattern onto the plain white paper.
2. Using the scissors, have the students cut out the skull and crossbones.
3. Remember, each pirate crew had their own unique flag — you may arrange your
flag in a unique fashion and add other pirate symbols.
4. Glue the white skull and crossbones onto the black paper, along with your other
symbols, if any.