Latest News from the World Health Organization (WHO).
Mission of World Health Organization: Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over the world. Working through offices in more than 150 countries, WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people.
Cook Islands National Strategy and Action Plan for Non-communicable diseases 2015 - 2019
Ministry of Health
Is the policy document adopted?:
Ministry of Health, Cook Islands
Type of policy:
NCD policy, strategy or plan with healthy diet components
Cook Islands National Strategy and Action Plan for Non-communicable diseases
2015 - 2019
Global database on the Implementation of
Nutrition Action (GINA)
Goals, objectives or targets related to nutrition:
The Global Goal for NCD is to reduce NCD related premature deaths by 25% by 2025 (25 by 25). To align with this, the Cook Islands
goal is to reduce the incidence of NCD by 2% per year by 2019.
Food and nutrition objectives
1. Reduce dependency of imported food and increase availability, consumption and access to local nutritious food.
2. Increase the proportion of adults (?18 years old) eating 5 or more servings of vegetables per day to 30%.
3. Reduce the proportion of overweight and obese children in the population by 10%.
4. Reduce the proportion of overweight and obese adults in the population by 10%.
5. To reduce salt intake in peoples diet to the recommended daily standard of less than 5grams per day (200mgs of sodium).
Strategies and activities related to nutrition:
Increase availability and access to healthy food
1. Explore options on making healthier food more affordable
2. Introducing higher levies on salty and sugary foods/drinks
3. Increasing range of healthier food options available and its production for sale (prepacked and freshly prepared meals) by working
with wholesalers to increase range of healthier products.
4. Promotion of home / school gardens
5. Advocating and lobbying to reduce or remove levies on fruits and vegetables to encourage purchase and consumption.
Increase awareness and knowledge of healthy food
1. Develop and introduce a Nutrition Training course for nurses, teachers