Be a Food Explorer
5 medium zucchini
1 large tomato, chopped fine
2 green onions, chopped fine
1 T chopped parsley
2 slices salami, finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1. Cut each zucchini lengthwise, then crosswise, into three equal pieces.
2. Using a small teaspoon, scooop a small hollow from each of the slices. Cook the zucchini in simmering
water for about three minutes. Drain. Run under cold water, and pat them dry with paper towels.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon the filling evenly into the zucchini boats. Broil the
boats 3-4 inches from the heat until the cheese melts.
Be a Food Explorer
Broccoli Grilled Cheese Sandwich
1/2 cup olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped (optional)
2 cups grated cheese
8 slices whole wheat bread
salt to taste
1 medium stalk broccoli, in small florets
1. Heat 2 T olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and wait 30 seconds. Add the onions, and cook for
two minutes. Add the broccoli. Sprinkle with salt and two pinches of thyme. Cook, stirring for 8-10 min-
utes. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl, and set aside.
2. Using a pastry brush, paint the bread slices lightly on both sides with the remaining olive oil. Heat the pan
on medium low. Add a few bread slices, and cook until golden brown. Flip the bread, and reduce the heat
to low. Place a small pile of broccoli florets and chopped onion on the center of each piece of bread.
Sprinkle cheese over the vegetables, and cover the pan until the cheese melts. Let the cheese cool a bit
before serving. Serves 4
1 T lemon juice
3 T water
Sturdy thread or twine
1. Peel, core and slice the apples into rings about 1/8 inch thick. Mix the lemon juice and water in a shallow
dish. Dip each ring into the mixture, then pat dry with a paper towel.
2. String the fruit through the cent er of each ring, and hang in a dry warm place. The rings will take 1-2
weeks to dry.
To expedite the process, dry the apples