Dolly Madison Zingers (Devil's Food)
duncan hines devil's food
1 1/3 c water
1/2 c oil
3 lg eggs
2 t hot water
1/4 t salt
2 c marshmallow creme (one
1/2 c shortening
1/3 c powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 c powdered sugar
1/4 c hershey's chocolate syrup
2 T shortening
1/2 t vanilla
1. Prepare the cake batter following the directions on the box. If you use Duncan Hines
brand, you will need 1 1/3 cups of water, 1/2 cup of oil and three eggs. Preheat oven to
2. To prepare the cake pans that will make cakes the size of Zingers, tear off 20 pieces
of aluminum foil that are each about 8 inches wide. Fold the foil in half and then in half
once more so that you have a rectangular piece of foil. Wrap this piece of foil around a
small prescription medicine bottle. Tuck in the ends and take the bottle out, leaving the
foil open at the top. This will form a little pan. Flatten the bottom so that the mini pan
stand up straight. Place this into a baking pan and repeat with the remaining pieces of
foil. When you have arranged all of the foil pans in a baking pan, spray the inside of all
the pans with non-stick cooking spray. Fill each little pan about halfway with cake batter.
Bake cakes for 15- 17 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
3. To make the filling, combine the hot water with the salt in a small bowl and stir until
the salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool.
4. Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a
medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add the salt
mixture to the bowl and mix.
5. To make the chocolate frosting, combine all the frosting ingredients in a medium bowl
and mix well with an electric mixer until smooth.