Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 1987 American Labor - Page 1 of 1
Merit Badge Requirements
1) Do ONE of the following:
A) Develop a time line of significant history of the American labor movement from the 1770's to today.
B) Prepare an exhibit or a scrapbook illustrating three major achievements of the American labor movement.
C) In 500 words or more, write about one of the founders of organized labor in the United States.
D) In 500 words or more, write how the work force fits into the economic system of the United States.
2) Check with some news sources where you live -- public library, federal, state, county, or municipal employment office; labor union
office -- for information about working people and their concerns. Discuss your findings with your counselor.
3) Discuss with your counselor how you would lead a discussion on the subject of worker concerns about job-related issues. Issues
should be related to the workplace (safety, job assignments, seniority, wages, child care, etc.).
4) With the help of your counselor, prepare an exhibit or scrapbook illustrating ONE of the following:
A) Issues that concern American workers.
B) Federal and state labor laws showing how these laws affect American workers.
C) Current issues you have learned about from a national union or employee group.
5) Visit the office or attend a meeting of a local union, an AFL-CIO labor council, or an independent employee organization. Talk
with some people there and find out what the organization does. Draw a diagram of the organizational structure of the association you
visited from the local to the national level, if applicable.
6) Be prepared to define and discuss some of the key terms used in labor relations.
7) With help from your counse