Circle the Wagons For Cub Scouting
The Great Cardinal District’s
Oct. 22-23, 2005
What is a Chuckwagon Derby? It is an event that a Den pulls a covered wagon from station to
station while doing different skills. The wagon can be as simple as a regular child’s wagon with
an arched cover like in the picture above. Some packs have home made wooden wagons that
they made some time ago for past Chuckwagon Derbies.
You can get some ideas from the “How to Book” and from going to Google and searching for
“Cub Scout Chuckwagon Derby Plans”. Try to make your wagons as authentic as possible
since we will have a contest for the best looking.
You will need to bring a bag lunch to have on the trail while you go from station to station. Your
wagons will need to have some materials in them to use at some of the stations. A list of these
materials will follow.
There could be bandits that will check your wagons for the supplies that is on the list and can
take away some Gold Nuggets. So, Make sure that you have the materials on the list.
We will have many different stations for your scouts to do.
1. Dead Eye Station: BB, Archery, and Sling Shot Ranges
2. Catching Food Station: Fishing
3. Claim Jumping Station: Geology
4. Medicine Man Station: First Aid
5. Critter Walk Station: Nature Hike
6. Ledge Walking Station: Physical Fitness
7. Hang Man Station: Knot Tying
8. Field Tracking Station: Field Games
9. Hide Tanning Station: Leather Craft
10. Trading Post
1. Bag Lunch
2. Bait- you favorite type
3. Rock ID book
4. Cub Scout Hand Book for their rank.
5. 4 different rock samples to ID
6. 5 foot piece of rope (one per scout)
8. Nugget Bag
9. First Aid kit
10. Water for the scouts to drink.
Come dressed for the event and make plans to head west to Goochland. Plan a skit for the
campfire. We will have a joint campfire with the Boy Scouts.