10 Tips for Choosing a Perfect Gym
If you are lucky enough to live in an area where you have a wide selection
of gyms, realize that you really are lucky indeed. Many people live in areas
where they have one choice - or no choice at all. If you do have a choice,
however, here are some tips to help you choose a good gym.
1. Call the gym and ask for an appointment for a tour. Most gyms will
provide this service to you, free of charge. This gives you an opportunity to
see past the front counter. View the equipment, the locker room, and the
2. Ask about special services that are offered, such as the services of a
personal trainer, a nutritionist, and a massage therapist. Not all gyms
provide this, but these are services you will need, and if you can get them
all in one place, this is a good thing.
3. Take a closer look at the equipment. Is there plenty to go around, or
are there long lines? Is the equipment in good shape? Is it clean?
4. Look at the overall gym. Is it clean and well maintained? Are the
showers cleaned? Do other members wipe the machines after using them,
or walk away leaving a pool of their sweat behind?
5. Where is the gym located? Is it convenient for you? Is it close to your
home, job, or school? You don't want to spend an hour traveling to and
from a gym every day.
6. What are the gym's hours of operation? Do the hours work for your
schedule? Some gyms in larger cities are open 24 hours, but not all of
them. Are they open on weekends and holidays? Make sure that you find
7. Is the gym co-ed, and if it is, is this going to bother you? Some women
prefer female-only gyms, while some men prefer male-only gyms. Some
people don't care either way. Make sure that you feel comfortable with the
other people who are working out when you visit.
8. Do the staff members have certification? Are they trained to spot you?
Can they deal effectively with injuries? Are classes available?
9. If you need child care at the gym, is it available? Not all gyms offer