Starting a Sign Business: All You Need to
According to a study, 35% of shoppers surveyed, mentioned a sign as the reason they came to
know about a local business. It implies that the sign business industry holds importance in
this digital age too to attract customers. If you too have a knack for doing creative work and
designing, starting a sign business can be a good choice for you.
Want to know how to start a sign business? We’ll tell you how.
But, before moving ahead, understand this.
Starting a sign business is no longer like it was earlier. Rather, it has evolved and sign
business owners no longer restrict themselves to selling signages only. They expand to
offering consultation services to customers.
1. Research Your Target Market
Determine your target customers
When starting a sign business, decide on your target market. A number of businesses and
organizations require signages as under:
• Physical stores including corner shops or departmental stores
• Pubs, restaurants, and hotels
• Real estate industry where agents need ‘for sale’ sign boards
• Professionals like doctors, dentists, insurance brokers, lawyers, etc. with offices in multi-
floor buildings require lobby signs to guide customers
• A wide range of organizations including hospitals, schools, entertainment parks, universities,
churches, tourist destinations, and so on
• Businesses operating a big fleet of vehicles like driving schools, haulage, and transport
companies, bus and coach operators, courier services, etc.
Individual professionals like builders, electricians, or plumbers that require a vehicle to travel
for their work
• Factories or stores that need exterior wayfinding signs to direct customers
• Administrative departments requiring traffic signs for passengers
You can also think of other target markets beyond this list. For instance, businesses may need
‘Launched now’, etc. to let customers in a new city know about them.