Anchorage School District Battle of the Books
Elementary Level Guidelines for Running a Battle
1. Teams may include a maximum of four (4) students, one of whom is the alternate. No more than three players may play
at a time, but, in an emergency, less than three can play and be considered a team. Alternates cannot rotate in during a
round, nor can active players change jobs. Active team members should be assigned jobs as follows:
Speaker: the only member who may state the official answer or ask to have a question repeated.
Writer: writes the team’s answer on the answer sheet - SITS IN MIDDLE
Walker hands the judge the answer sheet when asked for it
2. Direct each team where to sit, and to write their school name and team number and the round number on their answer
sheet. Check that the colors match the round number . Verify that the top of each team’s answer sheet is completed
correctly before continuing. Each team will be allowed to have one answer sheet and two pencils (their own) at their table.
3. Introduce self (judge) and secure a timekeeper and scorekeeper from the audience.
4. The judge will ask a single question of all teams at once. The 30 second time begins as soon as the question has been
read the first time. Judges, ALWAYS read the question a second time while 30 seconds is running.
5. Teams will use their 30 seconds to discuss then write a keyword from the title and the author’s last name on their official
answer sheet. A keyword is any word that is unique to that particular title. The keyword and author’s last name needs to
be complete enough and spelled well enough to be recognizable to the judge. Team speaker may ask for another repeat of
the question; all recording of the answer must fall within the 30 seconds. The timekeeper will call time at the end of 30
seconds and judges will direct the writers to put down their pencils. No one should continue to write after time is called.
6. Judges, call for answer sheets. Place them on