Department of Publ ic Safety
Div is ion of State Pol ice
Uniform Statewide Pursuit Policy
---Please make a selection---
STATE OF CONNECTICUT
UNIFORM STATEWIDE PURSUIT POLICY
The Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies are amended by adding sections 14-283a-1 to 14
(NEW) Section 14-283a-1. PURPOSE
The purpose of this policy is to establish a Uniform Statewide Pursuit Policy in accordance with the prov
Act 99-171. This policy shall serve as the minimum standard for all police pursuits in Connecti
requirements adopted by an individual police agency shall not conflict with any provision of this policy.
(NEW) Section 14-283a-2. POLICY
Pursuits of fleeing motor vehicles may present a danger to the lives of the public, officers, and those ve
involved in the pursuit. Each police agency shall be responsible for assisting police officers in the safe
(NEW) Section 14-283a-3. DEFINITIONS
(1) "Pursuit" means an attempt by a police officer in an authorized emergency vehicle to apprehend a
another moving motor vehicle, when the driver of the fleeing vehicle is attempting to avoid ap
maintaining or increasing the speed of such vehicle or by ignoring the police officer's attempt to stop su
(2) "Authorized emergency vehicle" means a police vehicle equipped with operable emergency equip
audible siren and red or blue flashing lights, while such vehicle is being operated by a police officer.
(3) "Primary unit" means the police vehicle operated by a police officer that initiates a pursuit or any
operated by a police officer that assumes control of the pursuit.
(4) "Secondary unit" means any police vehicle operated by a police officer that becomes involved as a
primary unit and follows the primary unit at a safe distance.
(5) "Supervisor" means a person designated by the police agency to have supervisory control over the o
agency’s vehicles during a pursuit.
(6) “Communications” means the central dispatch center or personnel staffing the c