Creating an Artistic
Representation of My Culture
SUGGESTED LEarninG STraTEGiES: Graphic Organizer,
Your assignment is to create a three-dimensional artistic representation of
your culture and compose a written text that explains the significance of two
of the symbols you have chosen to represent yourself.
1. Use the graphic organizer on the next page (or one that you create) to
generate a list of symbols that represent the cultures with which you
identify. You may also draw on the “Where i’m From” poem you wrote for
2. Select two symbols from each category (a total of ten) and think of an
artistic method for making each symbol. You may use painting, sculpture,
collage, found materials, watercolors, cut paper, ink, pastels, and/or
actual artifacts or souvenirs, and so on. remember that your final product
must be three-dimensional, not a flat surface.
3. Collect and/or create the objects for your artistic representation.
4. Then choose two symbols from the ten you created that are especially
meaningful to you. Write one or two paragraphs that explain the
significance of the two symbols.
5. Experiment with various arrangements until you find a way to display the
ten objects that is aesthetically pleasing and engages your audience.
6. as you look at your artistic representation, try to anticipate questions
that your audience might have. Practice answering the questions aloud.
7. When you revise your written explanation of the significance of your
symbols, try to incorporate answers to those anticipated questions
into your explanation. include in your draft an explanation of how you
organized your artistic representation and why you chose to map it in that
8. Edit your written explanation using the tools available to you to present a
technically sound document.
9. Be prepared to share and explain your artistic representation of your
culture to a small group or in a gallery wa