The History of Raven Hall
Until 1774 when Raven Hall (or Peak Hall as it was known then) was built Ravenscar consisted of just a few farm buildings and a large farm built of the
site of a Roman Fort. Unfortunately all that remains of the Roman fort were the foundations which were unearthed during the building of Raven Hall.
The foundation stone of the ancient fort is now on display in the Whitby Museum, while the rest of the stones may well have found themselves in the
walls and buildings in the surrounding area.
Raven Hall was built by Captain William Childs of the King's Regiment of light Dragoon, Captain Childs was originally from London but came to
Yorkshire with the army. After Captain Childs bought the Ravenscar Alum Works in 1763 he fell in love with the area and decided to build a family
Captain Childs and his family became rather rich when Raven Hall was used as a retreat for King George III when his mental health began to suffer
after the death of his beloved daughter Princess Amelia. After the Kings stay many other Royals from across Europe, including the Queen of Portugal,
who suffered similar symptoms came to stay at Raven Hall.
On Captain Child's death in 1829 the house passed to his daughter Ann Willis. The familys fortune which had been created from play host to the Royal
of Europe was quickly squandered by Ann's son the Rev. Dr. Richard Willis. The eccentric Reverend had a passion for Louse and horse racing at
Doncaster. Several losing streaks later and the Reverend was having to offer supposed cures for insomnia at a guinea a time. A large amount of the
fortune was also spent on creating the beautiful hanging terraced gardens and battlements.
Eventual the Reverends debts caught up with him and a Mr. William Hammond of London foreclosed on the mortgage and took over Raven Hall. Mr.
Hammond soon throw himself into the local community and built the local church, windmill and became a key figure in the Scarborough to Whitby rail
After William Hammond's death in 1885 and that of hi