Duct Tape Competition
1. Each engineering department can enter one team consisting of two to four people.
2. All persons being duct taped must start out standing in a chair.
3. Each team is given one standard roll of duct tape to be given at the competition. One roll of
duct tape contains 55 yd of tape, approximately 1.88 inches wide. The duct tape used will be
General Purpose Grade Duck Tape ®
4. Each team has five minutes to duct tape their person to the wall.
5. Duct tape may not overlap the top or sides of the wall. Duct tape may not be placed on the
person above the shoulders; however, there may be duct tape on the wall above the person’s
shoulders. (Basically, no duct taping necks or faces.)
6. After the five minute mark, all teams must stop duct taping and step back from the board.
7. Team members must stand ready to catch their contestant when they fall off the wall.
8. Once the time for taping is up, the chair will remain in place until the coordinator calls for
everyone to remove the chair from under the person taped to the wall.
9. Teams will be allowed a maximum of 20 minutes for the person to stay on the wall.
10. Once the official time has started, the person duct taped to the wall may not be touched, nor
may the duct tape on the wall be touched.
11. The official time will stop once the person falls off of the wall. Team members should be
ready to assist the person such that injuries do not occur.
12. The winner will be determined using two factors: weight of the person taped to the wall and
the time attached to the wall using the following formula:
((Weight of Person - weight of smallest person)) + Time(sec)*(final weight of tape/Initial weight
Note: weight of tape will include the cardboard core.
13. Persons being duct taped are encouraged to wear old clothing: long sleeves, pants, and
14. The judge present at the completion of the competition has final discretion over any