1989 AMENDED CHARTER
The City of Tulsa was established as a town in 1898 under territorial law while
Oklahoma was designated as Indian Territory of the United States. After Oklahoma became
the 46th state in 1907, the City of Tulsa adopted its first city charter on July 3, 1908, which
was approved by Oklahoma Governor Charles Haskell on January 5, 1909.
The City was governed by a Board of Commissioners comprised of a Mayor and four
Commissioners - Police & Fire, Streets & Public Property, Waterworks & Sewerage, and
Finance & Revenue. This form of government prevailed until May 8, 1990, when it changed
to a Mayor and City Council form.
Under and by the authority of Section 3 of Article XVIII of the Constitution of the state of
Oklahoma and pursuant to the laws of the state (11 O.S.1981, §§ 13-111, 13-106, and 13-107;
26 O.S.Supp.1987 § 13-102), a special election (provided by City of Tulsa Ordinance No.
17090) was held on February 14, 1989, and the qualified voters of the City of Tulsa approved
the 1989 amended Charter, which was later approved by Oklahoma Governor Henry
Bellmon to become effective on May 8, 1990.
An original signed copy was filed with the Oklahoma Secretary of State on March 8,
1989, and with the Tulsa County clerk on March 15, 1989.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The City Auditor
Boards and Authorities
Election and Qualification of Officers
Removal and Recall of Elective Officers
ARTICLE VIII Use of Public Property
Civil Service Commission
Amended Charter Election Districts, eff.
SCHEDULE II List of Election District Plan Amendments
SCHEDULE III List of Charter Amendments
AN AMENDMENT TO THE EXISTING CHARTER OF THE CITY OF TULSA, AS AMENDED, CHANGING
FROM A COMMISSION FOR