Biology Study Guide 4
1) Charles Darwin was the first to propose
A) a mechanism for how evolution occurs.
B) that the Earth is older than 6,000 years.
C) a mechanism for evolution that was supported by evidence.
D) a way to use artificial selection as a means of domesticating plants and animals.
E) that evolution occurs.
2) Which statement about natural selection is most correct?
A) Different species that together occupy the same habitat will adapt to that habitat by
undergoing the same genetic changes.
B) Natural selection is the sole means by which populations can evolve.
C) Well-adapted individuals leave more offspring, and thus contribute more to the gene pool,
than poorly adapted individuals.
D) Adaptations beneficial in one habitat should generally be beneficial in all other habitats as
E) Adaptations beneficial at one time should generally be beneficial during all other times as
3) Given a population that contains genetic variation, what is the correct sequence of the following
events, under the influence of natural selection?
1. Differential reproduction occurs.
2. A new selective pressure arises.
3. Allele frequencies within the population change.
4. Poorly adapted individuals have decreased survivorship.
A) 4, 2, 3, 1
B) 4, 1, 2, 3
C) 4, 2, 1, 3
D) 2, 4, 1, 3
E) 2, 4, 3, 1
4) Which of the following statements is not an inference of natural selection?
A) Individuals whose inherited characteristics best fit them to the environment should leave
B) Subsequent generations of a population should have greater proportions of individuals that
possess favorable traits.
C) An individual organism undergoes evolution over the course of its lifetime.
D) Often only a fraction of offspring survive, because there is a struggle for limited resources.
E) Unequal reproductive success among its members leads a population to adapt over time.
5) Which of the follo