Draft – May 2004
BRACKNELL FOREST BOROUGH COUNCIL
CLERK TO GOVERNING BODY
BFBC Grade H/I
To provide effective administration and clerking support to the school governing
DESIGNATION OF POST AND POSITION WITHIN DEPARTMENTAL
The postholder will report to the Chairman of Governors/Bursar/Administrative
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prepare agendas for governing body meetings in liaison with Headteacher
and Chairman of Governors.
• Prepare and circulate agendas and appropriate reports within required
• Attend meetings of the governing body and draft accurate minutes.
• Prepare draft minutes of meetings for approval by Chairman and despatch
minutes as required.
• Maintain records of governing body and committee minutes, for the public
record, and for use by governor and school staff.
• Establish a timetable of meetings for the year with the governing body.
• Ensure governing body is properly constituted, maintain records of governors’
terms of office and inform the LEA of any changes.
Inform appointing bodies of the end of governor’s terms of office and ensure
that elections are properly carried out, in accordance with statutory
• Ensure that all governors sign a declaration of their qualification as a
governor upon appointment or re-appointment.
• Ensure that all governors are security checked upon appointment or re-
appointment according to current requirements.
• Provide new governors with induction materials including a copy of the Guide
to the Law for School Governors.
• Manage correspondence for the governing body, forwarding to the Chairman
and governors as required and responding appropriately.
• Maintain files of terms of reference and documentation for governors’
• Maintain a register of governors’ business interests.
• Liaise with the LEA