The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy research organization. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and local levels.
The Tax Foundation is the nation’s
leading independent tax policy
research organization. Since 1937,
our research, analysis, and experts
have informed smarter tax policy
at the federal, state, and global
levels. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
©2020 Tax Foundation
Creative Commons CC-BY-NC 4.0
Editor, Rachel Shuster
Designer, Dan Carvajal
1325 G Street, NW, Suite 950
Washington, DC 20005
Corporate Tax Rates around the
In 2020, 10 countries made changes to their statutory corporate income
tax rates. One country—Micronesia—increased its top corporate tax rate,
while nine countries—Armenia, Belgium, Colombia, France, French Polynesia,
Greenland, Monaco, Togo, and Zimbabwe—reduced their corporate tax rates.
• Comoros (50 percent), Puerto Rico (37.5 percent), and Suriname (36 percent)
are the countries with the highest corporate tax rates in the world, while
Barbados (5.5 percent), Uzbekistan (7.5 percent), and Turkmenistan (8
percent) levy the lowest corporate rates. Fifteen jurisdictions do not impose
• The worldwide average statutory corporate income tax rate, measured across
177 jurisdictions, is 23.85 percent. When weighted by GDP, the average
statutory rate is 25.85 percent.
• Europe has the lowest regional average rate, at 19.99 percent (24.61 percent
when weighted by GDP). Conversely, Africa has the highest regional average
statutory rate, at 28.50 percent (28.16 percent weighted by GDP).
• The average top corporate rate among EU27 countries is 21.47 percent, 23.51
percent in OECD countries, and 27.24 percent in the G7.
• The worldwide average statutory corporate tax rate has consistently
decreased since 1980, with the largest decline occurring in the early 2000s.
• The average statutory corporate tax rate has declined in every region since
TAX FOUNDATION | 2
In 1980, corporate tax rates a