GOOGLE ADWORDS TIPS A QUICK START GUIDE
As many new AdWords advertisers might have found out, it can be difficult to get the maximum
out of Google AdWords. That's because the system is not as simple as that of Overture,
FindWhat and its ilk. I would recommend that new advertisers have a small plan before starting
an AdWords campaign.
Step No. 1 - Keyword Research
- Bookmark the following free tools. We will be using them frequently.
Overture keyword suggestion tool
Google AdWords keyword suggestion tool
Synonyms Search Tool
- Open a new excel sheet.
- Think of a few unique keyword related to your business. I do not call "loan" as a keyword - don't
bother including them in your keyword list. Try to include key phrases (keywords with two words)
like "mortgage loan" in your list.
- Once you have a keyword, head for the Overture keyword suggestion tool and type in the
keyword. Copy the top 10 or top 20 keywords into the excel sheet. If you find a keyword that is
not relevant to your business, do NOT ignore it completely. Put a negative sign. For example -
anti virus software
network anti virus
You might also want to include [exact] or "phrase" match - but you can get into those later.
- Right. Now we have an excel sheet that contains some 10 or 20 keywords. We need to find
keywords related to the main keyword using Google AdWords keyword suggestion tool.
For example, typing in "web hosting" in Google keyword suggestion lists out useful keywords like
"web host", "website hosting" and so on. Make a new column for all these important related
keywords in your excel sheet. Go back to Overture's keyword suggestion tool to get the top 10/20
keywords for each of the individual keywords.
Sometimes, Google AdWords tool does not give you any related keywords. Use the synonym
research tool to get synonyms of keywords.
- Make sure you bid of plurals of the keywords too. Loan -> Loans, Web Host -> Web Hosts (You
get the idea)
At the end of this important exer