H4.0FT5 H4.0FT6 H4.5FTS5 Europe [P005]
1400 SRM 1245
Drive Axle Repair
This section has the repair procedures for the drive axle and differential assembly.
Drive Axle Repair
REMOVE AND DISASSEMBLE
When putting the lift truck on blocks, make
sure the surface is solid, even, and level. Any
blocks used to support the lift truck must be
solid, one-piece units.
1. Put blocks on each side (front and back) of the
steering tires to prevent movement of the lift
2. Raise the lift truck and put blocks under the
frame so that the drive wheels do not touch the
floor. Put blocks under the counterweight for
3. Remove the mast assembly as described in the
section Mast Repairs, 2 and 3-Stage Masts
4000 SRM 1250.
4. Remove the fill plug and O-ring. Discard O-ring.
5. Remove the drain plug and O-ring to drain the
oil from the drive axle into a suitable container.
Discard O-ring. See Figure 1.
6. Remove the wheels.
7. Disconnect the brake line connecting the master
cylinder to the brake manifold located on top of
the differential housing assembly.
8. Remove the parking brake cable. Refer to the
section Brake System 1800 SRM 1247.
9. Place blocks under the axle assembly and con-
nect slings and lifting device.
10. Place blocks under the transmission to support
the transmission while removing the drive axle.
11. Remove the capscrews retaining the drive shaft
and remove the drive shaft.
12. Remove the transmission isolator mounting bolt
located on top of the assembly. See Figure 7.
13. Remove the four mounting capscrews from the
drive axle. See Figure 2.
14. Remove blocks and lower the drive axle assem-
bly. Pull axle forward and away from frame.
15. Place blocks under the differential assembly.
16. Remove the axle shafts, hub/brake drum assem-
bly, and back plates. Refer to the section Brake
System 1800 SRM 1247.
17. Remove the capscrews and washers retaining the
hanger assembly to the internal gear and differ-