Scout Name: _________________________________________________ Unit #: _______________ Date: _______________
Requirements Last Revised: 1987 Weather - Page 1 of 9
Merit Badge Requirements
1) Define meteorology. Explain how the weather affects farmers, sailors, aviators, and the outdoors construction industry. Tell why
weather forecasts are important to each of these groups.
2) Name five dangerous weather-related conditions. Give the safety rules for each when outdoors and explain the difference between
a severe weather watch and a warning. Discuss the safety rules with your family.
3) Draw cross sections of a cold front and a warm front showing the location and movements of the cold and warm air, the frontal
slope, the location and types of clouds associated with the front, and the location of rain. Tell the differences between a cold front and
a warm front.
4) Tell what causes wind, why it rains, and how lightning and hail are formed. Explain the difference between high and low pressure
systems in the atmosphere and tell which is related to good and poor weather.
5) Identify and describe clouds in the low, middle, and upper levels of the atmosphere. Relate these to specific types of weather.
6) Draw a diagram of the water cycle and label its major processes. Explain the water cycle to your counselor.
7) Define acid rain. Identify which human activities pollute the atmosphere as well as the effects such pollution can have on people.
8) Do ONE of the following:
A) Make one of the following instruments: wind vane, anemometer, rain gauge, hygrometer. Keep a daily weather log for 1
week using information from this instrument as well as from other sources such as local radio and television stations or
NOAA Weather Radio. The following information should be recorded at the same time every day: wind direction and speed