Solving Multi-Step Equations
Equations that require more than two steps to solve are called multi-step
1. Clear the equation of fractions and decimals.
2. Use the Distributive Property to remove parentheses on each side.
3. Combine the like terms on each side.
4. Undo addition or subtraction.
5. Undo multiplication or division.
to clear equations of fractions
1. find a common denominator of all fractions in the equation
2. multiply every term by the common denominator
to clear equations of decimals
1. find the term with the largest number of decimal places
2. multiply every term by the power of 10 that will make the
coefficient of the term in #1 an integer