Watch the “Atoms” movie at http://www.brainpop.com/ to complete this section.
1. List three items that are made of atoms. __________________________________________
2. The ____________ __________ of ____________ shows and predicts
every element in the universe.
3. ________________ argued that everything in the world was made up of
particles so small they could not be cut in half. He called these particles
__________ from the Greek word “atomos”, which means ________________.
4. John _______________ said that atoms were the smallest part of an element
that retains its chemical properties.
5. Atoms are made up of three subatomic particles called ________________,
_______________, and ______________.
6. The atom’s center or ____________ is a cluster of protons and neutrons.
Protons have a ____________ electrical charge and neutrons have ____
electrical charge. They are held together by a ___________ force, which keeps
positively charged protons from ________________ each other.
7. The nucleus is surrounded by a cloud of electrons moving near the speed of
___________. The electrons have a negative charge that ________________
them to the protons and they live in _______________ representing different
8. On the periodic table, atoms are arranged by ___________ ____________,
which is really the number of protons or electrons. You can find the _________
__________ and the element’s ___________ on the periodic table.
9. Different types of atoms can bond together to make ________________.
Water is created by _____ atoms of hydrogen and _____ atom of oxygen.
10. If the nucleus of an atom was the size of an apple, the electrons would be ________ football
Try the quiz to complete each statement.
11. The __________ is the smallest unit or part of an element.
12. Scientists have discovered or created over _______ elements.
13. A ________________ is two or more atoms bonded together.
14. What is the most abunda