Barium-Free Thixotropic Rust Preventive
Castrol Tarp BFX is a barium-free, thixotropic, general purpose rust preventive. It is formulated to
provide excellent corrosion protection, thixotropic properties, and light duty lubricating characteristics.
Because of its thixotropic nature, Tarp BFX has the ability to become fluid with agitation, enabling the
residual film to be self-healing.
• Minimal dripping and oil mess is desired (coating sheet and coil stock).
• Hot dip products had previously been used (bearings).
Long-term outdoor storage of finished goods is required.
• Protection of painted/unpainted goods is needed for overseas shipment.
• When used straight, Tarp BFX will provide outstanding humidity and salt atmosphere protection
for ferrous and nonferrous parts for up to five years in indoor storage. This product will protect
parts for 3-5 years in outdoor storage, if covered.
• Excellent resistance to acid atmospheres will protect ferrous and nonferrous parts that have been
stored near acidic environments.
Thixotropic properties enable film to be self-healing, become fluid with agitation, and reduce
dripping of product after coating.
• Superior cleanability enables product to be easily cleaned off with an alkaline cleaner even after
being stored outside.
• High flash point eliminates need for special fire equipment.
• Tarp BFX is nonreactive to paint films, so it may be used to protect painted equipment stored
outside prior to shipment.
Opaque, dark blue
@ 60° (16°C)
0.86 - 0.90
> 220°F (104°C)
Recommended Applications & Dilutions
Tarp BFX should be applied undiluted for maximum thixotropic and protection properties. The