National Standards in Music K-12
National Standards for Music Education
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
Related Links (from MENC's website):
Summary Statement Education Reform, Standards, and the Arts Summary Statement to
the National Standards
Standards Reprint Permission Policy
The School Music Program: A New Vision (The K-12 National Standards, PreK Standards,
and What They Mean to Music Educators)
The School Music Program (Spanish Translation)
Opportunity-to-Learn Standards for Music Instruction: Grades PreK-12
Performance Standards for Music: Startegies and Benchmarks for Assessing Progress
Toward the National Standards, Grades PreK-12
Publications on the the National Standards and Their Implementation
State Music Education Standards
1 / 1