ST A TE SENA TOR 15 th D istri ct
TOLL-FREE: (888) 38.NANCY
• For advice on avoiding consumer scams and rip-offs and
other consumer news, visit the Federal Trade
Commission website at www.ftc.gov. File a complaint
online or call 1-877-FTC-HELP.
• Visit the consumer section at www.insurancefraud.org to
learn about insurance scams and how to avoid them.
• Learn how to protect your personal information, and
manage your money better at www.mymoney.gov.
• Get practical tips to guard against Internet fraud at
• Visit http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov to learn about
mail fraud and theft.
• Stay informed about product safety news at the
Consumer Product Safety Commission website at
www.cpsc.gov. Or call 1-800-638-2772.
• Access the “one-stop shop” for U.S. government recalls at
• Eliminate most telemarketing calls. Sign up for the
National Do-Not-Call Registry from your home phone
at 1-888-382-1222 or online at www.donotcall.gov.
• Read about the latest Internet schemes identified by the
FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center at
• Get the facts on how to invest wisely and avoid fraud at
• Stop unsolicited prescreened credit card offers.
Call 1-888-5OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688).
• Monitor your credit report on a regular basis to make sure
only the accounts you’ve started are listed. To order your
free annual credit report, call 1-877-322-8228 or go
online to www.annualcreditreport.com.
• Check out a business or charity at the Better Business
Bureau of Western Michigan website at
www.westernmichigan.bbb.org. Or call 616-774-8236.
(BBB of Detroit & Eastern Michigan website at
www.easternmichiganbbb.org. Or call 248-644-9100.)
• Having trouble paying your mortgage? Find information
at www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/foreclosure or call the
MSHDA Foreclosure Prevention Hotline at 866-946-7432.
• For help in deciphering monthly telephone charges, access
the Federal Communications Commission