H:\Handouts\J-1 Student Extension of Stay.doc
J-1 Student Extension of Stay
An approved extension of stay allows more time for you to study at Iowa State University (beyond the
end date on your current DS-2019 form). The objective stated on your DS-2019 is not changed, only the
length of time in which to achieve the objective. You must complete the entire extension process before
your current DS-2019 expires.
You are eligible for an extension of stay if you meet all the following conditions:
• Maintain your J-1 student status, including being in good academic standing
• Carry health insurance for yourself and any J-2 dependents
• Receive approval from your academic adviser/major professor (exchange students must have
approval from their ISU exchange coordinator)
• Provide financial guarantees for the living and academic costs associated with extending your
stay. You must show proof of sufficient funding for yourself and all J-2 dependents. See an
International Student Adviser (ISA) for the most recent ISU tuition, fees, and living expenses.
Apply for extension of stay by following these steps:
1. Complete Section A of the Student (J-1) Extension/Replacement Request form. Attach J-2
dependent information, if applicable.
2. Have your academic department complete Section B. Your department may use the
contingency clause if funding is expected but not yet guaranteed.
3. Attach financial guarantees, as described in the eligibility conditions above (Letter of Intent,
bank statement, letter of support from parent or sponsor).
4. Call 294-1120 to make an appointment with an adviser.
Bring to this meeting:
a) Extension of Stay form with Sections A and B completed
b) Your passport with most current visa and I-94 card
c) Your current DS-2019(s).
5. Pick up your new DS-2019 at International Students and Scholars (ISS) when you receive an
e-mail stating it is ready to pick up and sign it at the bottom of page 1. The DS-2019 is not