Email Use Policy
This policy establishes standards for the proper use of DC government-provided electronic mail
This policy applies to:
• All electronic mail systems and services provided or owned by the DC Government.
Transactional information associated with email records (such as email headers,
summaries, addresses, and addressees) as well as the contents of those records.
• All users of DC Government email services, including:
Full and part-time employees
• Contractors authorized to use DC Government-owned equipment or network
• Volunteers who have been provided with an email account/service and
• All other users of DC Government information technology resources.
• All DC Government email records in the possession of any DC Government
Email is an efficient and timely communications tool that is provided by the DC Government to its
employees, contractors, and volunteers to assist them in supporting DC government functions
and conducting the government's business within its own organization, with government and
private business partners, and with the public. Appropriate use of the DC Government email
system can enhance productivity and intra-governmental communication, but inappropriate use
can conflict with DC government policies and compromise availability of the system for all. This
policy defines requirements and prohibitions for appropriate use of the DC government email
system or any messaging system that uses the District's computer network.
• Use of the DC government email system constitutes consent to abide by all elements of
this policy, including such reviews of email correspondence as may be necessary and
appropriate to effect DC Government policies concerning the use of the email system and
in aid of law-enforcement and auditing activities of federal and District of Columbia
• DC Government email systems and services are "DC Gov