CITY OF CAMAS
Union Status: Represented
DEPUTY FIRE MARSHAL
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the
class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under general supervision, to ensure compliance with fire and life safety codes, regulations, policies and
procedures; to perform a variety of duties in response to fire prevention program activities and operations
including inspection and investigation within the Fire Department; to coordinate assigned activities with
other departments, divisions, outside agencies and the general public; and to provide highly responsible
and complex staff assistance to the Battalion Chief/Fire Marshall.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENTS
The following tasks are typical for positions in this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these
tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here:
1. Ensure the compliance of all applicable fire and life safety codes, regulations, policies and
procedures; perform various duties involved in the operational activities for the fire prevention
program within the Fire Department including field inspection, hazardous materials, and general
office administrative functions.
2. Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the
fire prevention program; assist in the development and implementation of procedures and methods for
fire and life safety; permit and inspection for new and existing facilities, and hazardous materials plan
review and permit inspection processes.
3. Provide onsite inspections and recommendations for compliance with uniform fire code; prepare
reports on compliance as required.
4. Identify opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures; identify resource
needs; review with appropriate management staff; implement improvements.
5. Provide staff assistance to the Battali