ARKANSAS WILL REQUIREMENTS
Basic Requirements for: Arkansas Last Will and Testament:
1) Age: The testator must be at least 18 years old.
2) Capacity: The testator must be of sound mind.
3) Signature: An Arkansas Last Will and Testament must be signed by one of the following:
By the testator.
In the testator's name by some other person in the testator's presence and by the testator's
By mark with the testator's name written near the mark, and witnessed by a person who writes his
or her name as witness to the signature
4) Witnesses: The testator must declare the will to be his or her own and it must be signed by at least two
witnesses each of whom: (1) are 18 years or older (2) do not receive any property in the will (3) being
present at the same time, witnessed either the signing of the will or the testator's acknowledgement of the
5) Writing: A will must be in writing to be valid.
6) Beneficiaries: An Arkansas Last Will and Testament may make a disposition of property to any person,
including but not limited to any of the following:
A charitable organization.
7) Other types of recognized wills:
• Holographic Wills: A handwritten will is valid, whether or not witnessed, if it is entirely in the
handwriting of the testator and signed by the testator. However, handwritten wills are discouraged
because they may be more difficult to prove valid after the death of the will's author.
Distribution of Property:
A will can ensure that your property, also known as your estate, passes as you desire to family and loved
ones after your death. Your estate consists of property and cash assets that you own, and may include bank
WARNING ***THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES AND IF YOU
HAVE A LARGE ESTATE OR ARE UNSURE ABOUT HOW TO