— City —
The City of Brunswick
The Port of Brunswick and the Sidney Lanier Bridge.
Nickname(s): "The Wick"
"Shrimp Capital of the World"
Motto: Gateway to the Golden Isles
Location in Glynn County and the state of Georgia
Coordinates: 31°9′32″N 81°29′21″W /
31.15889°N 81.48917°W / 31.15889; -81.48917
Bryan Thompson (R)
- Mayor pro tem Cornell Harvey
James H. Brooks
Roosevelt Harris, Jr.
25.2 sq mi (65.2 km2)
17.2 sq mi (44.6 km2)
8.0 sq mi (20.7 km2)
1,300 sq mi (3,367 km2)
10 ft (3 m)
934.5/sq mi (360.8/km2)
- Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
GNIS feature ID
Brunswick (pronounced /ˌbrʌnswɪk/) is an
American city in the state of Georgia and the
seat of Glynn County. The municipality is loc-
ated in southeastern Georgia on a harbor on
the Atlantic Ocean, approximately 30 miles
(50 km) north of Florida. It was founded in
1771 by the Province of Georgia and incor-
porated on February 22, 1856. Plans for
the city’s streets and squares were laid out in
grid-style following James Oglethorpe’s Sa-
vannah Plan. In 1789, George Washington
proclaimed Brunswick one of the five original
ports of entry for the United States.
In 2007, the city proper had an estimated
population of 16,235 and an estimated
metropolitan population of 101,792. The
city’s metropolitan area is the twelfth-largest
in the state of Georgia and includes the
counties of Glynn, Brantley, and McIntosh.
The Port of Brunswick is the fourth-largest
the eastern United
States. The city’s economy encompasses
manufacturing, agricultural proces