Service Repair Manual
a. remove final drives
1. Thoroughly clean the outside of the final drive prior to disassembly.
2. Put an alignment mark across the sections of the final drive for assembly purposes. The parts
must be reinstalled in their original locations.
3. Fasten the final drive to Tooling (A) as shown. The combined weight of the final drive and final
drive sprocket is 531 kg (1170 lb).
4. Remove 20 bolts (1) and the washers that hold the cover in place.
5. Using a soft faced hammer, break the seal between cover (2) and the ring gear. Fasten Tooling
(B) and a hoist to cover (2) as shown. Remove the cover. The weight of the cover is 30 kg (66 lb).
6. Remove thrust plate (5) from the cover.
7. Remove 12 socket head bolts (3) and ring gear (4) from the cover.
8. Remove sun gear (6). Remove carrier assembly (7) by lifting it straight up. The weight of the
carrier assembly is 14 kg (30 lb).
NOTE: Two spacers (8) are used with carrier assembly (7). One of the spacers fits on the top side
of carrier assembly (7). The other spacer (8) is located in the carrier of carrier assembly (15).
9. Remove spacer (8) from carrier assembly (7).
NOTE: Planetary gears (11) have identification marks (L) on them. Note the position of the
identification marks in relation to the carrier for assembly purposes.
10. Remove retaining ring (9) with Tool (C). Remove two thrust washers (10) and planetary gear
(11) from the carrier. Remove bearing (12) from the planetary gear.
11. Remove the other two planetary gears from the carrier as in Step 10.
12. Using a screwdriver, remove retaining ring (13) from the carrier. Remove sun gear (14) from
13. Using two persons, remove carrier assembly (15) by pulling it straight up. The weight of the
carrier assembly is 25 kg (5